Strategic Space Applications (SSA) department is located at NASRDA headquarters and saddled with the responsibility of using space-derived data, which is a very powerful planning tool that significantly improves the quality, efficiency and technical depth of decision-making in the allocation of resources, environmental management, land use planning, agricultural practices, mineral resources exploration, urban planning, water resources management, general resources inventory, project planning, implementation, monitoring and management in all aspects of human endeavors
Schedule of Duties
- Promote and consolidate all space applications and space applications related activities through appropriate research and development for the purpose of optimizing resources and making the space programmes to have a greater impact on Nigeria’s socio-economic development.
- Promote space applications and space applications related research and development for the purpose of managing and protecting the environment, hazards and disaster management.
- Strengthen capacity building and human resource development, which are required for the applications of space-based earth observation data sets including linkages with relevant institutions, Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs), States and Local Governments.
- Provide support and collaborate with universities and other academic institutions in the country for research and development projects relevant to the national space programme.
- Supervise the activities of operational centers that are assigned to the department, particularly, those related to the functions of Strategic Space Applications Department such as National Centre for Remote Sensing (NCRS) Jos, in Plateau state and Centre for Geodesy and Geodynamics (CGG) Toro Bauchi State.
- Provide expertise for the Agency’s participation in international organizations on Earth Observation and the activities of the Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space.
- Provide support and collaborate with universities and other academic institutions in the country for research and development projects relevant to the national space program.
- Develop appropriate space applications software tailored to space applications needs.
- Carry out other activities that are necessary or expedient for the function of the Agency, including activities that may be assigned to the department from time to time by the DG/CE, e.g. collaborations with GeoApps+ Nigeria Ltd to carryout consultancy projects.
Divisions of the Department
- Cadastral Mapping and Urban Space Applications (CMUSA) Division
- Natural Resources Management (NRM) Division
- Security and Geospatial Intelligence (SGI) Division
- Environmental Climate Change (ECC) Division
- Hazard and Disaster Management (HDM) Division